Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sister Laura

Yesterday was my Sister Laura's birthday. I vividly remember the day she was born. 3 of my siblings were born at home but Laura's birth is most memorable to me. My mother had hired a midwife and as she labored upstairs the rest of us kids watched Dr. Doolittle on TV downstairs. She started labor in the early afternoon and Laura was born that evening. When the time came we all went upstairs and watched. I remember it being a little frantic because the cord was wrapped around her neck but the midwife was able to correct that quickly. The lights were bright and the mood was so happy! My mother looked like this was something she did everyday. After the cord was cut and Laura was cleaned up a bit we were all allowed to hold her. She was beautiful. My mom was able to get dressed and come downstairs for pizza and we celebrated Laura's first birthday.

Laura is now 29 and just this year was married. She has accomplished so much in her life and has also been through some major trauma. I hope this year is the beginning of a calm and peaceful chapter for her where she can continue to grow. Happy Birthday Laura! I love you!

No comments: