Thursday, May 19, 2011

Competition


When I was a kid I avoided competition at all costs. I did not like team sports or the pressure of having to perform better than someone else so I disengaged. Even grade wise in school - I knew I had the ability to out perform others but my fear of failure prevented me from even trying hard. If you don't try you can't fail right? Wrong. It took me many years to realize that it only makes life unrewarding. Today I thrive on competition. I wouldn't say it is because I want others to fail - I just want to see how far I can go. Most of the time I am competing with myself but on occasion I find myself wanting to rise to the challenge of another's performance. I think it is healthy. How else can we grow as adults if we are not pushed - by ourselves or others - to do better. Competition makes it fun - yes it is a bit scary but also so rewarding. So here is to everyone who pushes me to do better just by doing what you do. I appreciate your abilities and strengths - I admire your determination and I strive to rise to the bar you set. When you reach the finish line I hope you turn your head sideways and I am right there with you.

1 comment:

joy said...

i am actually very competitive, too. like you, i eventually disengaged because it takes a lot of work to be competitive.