Monday, February 21, 2011

Music

It is hard for me to imagine a world without music. It invokes so much emotion and can be so incredibly powerful. I think that is one of the biggest reasons I love teaching so much - our classes have such incredible music. I was listening to one of my favorite soundtracks the other day. One of the songs reminded me of a time when John and I were watching a sunset - listening to that song. We both became so overwhelmed by the beauty of not only the sunset but the music as well. It is amazing how music can have a completely relaxing effect or an energizing effect. I have seen people walk into class bouncing off of the walls and when a soothing song comes on I can see them breathe and settle down. I have also seen people walk in looking like they need a nap and within 20 seconds of hearing a good beat the get going. I love to have music on in the house that matches how I am feeling or what I am doing.

I found out over a year ago that I have hearing loss. I apparently was born with a defect in both of my ears that has caused low frequency hearing loss. This is opposite of what most people experience with hearing loss. I have a hard time hearing male voices sometimes (that is why I had it checked in the first place). We don't know how much hearing loss I will have but I have learned to appreciate everything that I can hear. I love to get "lost" in music or the sound of the ocean. My children's voices or my husbands laugh.

It is so easy to take advantage of all of the blessing we have until one gets taken away. Count your blessings and turn on your favorite tunes. See what it does for your day.

2 comments:

Theres just life said...

I defiantly believe in Music. I listen to different types depending on what I am doing (ie, studying, working, etc.)

julie pickett said...

I didn't get to say goodbye to you. :'( I am so impressed by you and I admire you so much. You are such a great example. Love you so much! Just wanted to tell ya.