Thursday, August 5, 2010

Food

What an incredible gift from God. Flavors and textures we get to enjoy several times a day. We look forward to our meals and many times savor the moments we are eating. I love food. I love eating it and most of the time I enjoy preparing it. It is interesting how we are required for the most part to discipline ourselves when it comes to food. We need to pick and choose when we will indulge in a more fattening food or larger meal. For some reason it seems to require a lot of control. I think this control is what most eating disorders are about. I am sad that my sister no longer can enjoy a meal and feel good about it afterwards. For her it has become a monster - something she needs to survive - but also something that wants to control her. I know she fights against it every day. It is hard for me to imagine something like this - something so intense. I think we all struggle with our weight from time to time but what she has is something completely different. I wonder if she can see the skeleton that is in the mirror or if her vision is distorted. My wish is that some day she can once again see a beautiful juicy pear and bite into it thanking God that she has been able to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Theres just life said...

Food can be a blessing or a curse. Depending on how we look at it. I am with you in that I enjoy eating and cooking. I am still praying you sister will learn the wondrous side of food soon.