Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hiking




After a long week of teaching I was looking forward to a day of rest (who am I kidding).  This morning Jack's friend invited him to go on a hike and Julia really wanted to go too.  I told her (reluctantly) that we could go on our own hike so the boys could just have boy time.  I was like a kid who didn't want to go somewhere - moving very slowly getting out of the door and trying every angle to get out of it (do you want me to take you shopping?) but her sweet face was too hard to resist.   We ended up hiking the Madonna trail.  It was a beautiful day and the views were amazing.  I can't believe we have lived here for 8 years and I haven't done that hike.   Julia was in heaven.  She said she liked hiking because "it is so quiet and all you hear is nature".  She pointed out several plants she liked and talked a lot about  bugs with unique features.  In the end she was the one asking if we could turn around and go back and I was the one saying "lets just get around the next corner".  Once again it was one of my children prying open my closed mind to experience something new.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

I like this story!

joy said...

you are such a good mom.