Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pet Peeve

I am not one to normally complain but I have one major pet peeve...... rudeness. I don't understand it nor do I have patience for it. It can take many forms which I will not go into but lately I seem to be even more aware of it around me. Today as I was pulling out of the parking lot at my docs office (social call - I seem to like it there) I observed someone driving a car WAY too fast through the parking lot and honking at anyone even thinking of backing up to exit. I had yet to even start my car so she wasn't honking at me but it certainly alarmed me as it did the many other people walking in the area. I felt sorry for the poor, elderly man who was carefully trying to back out of his spot - surely he was given quite a scare.

I decided to let my heart calm down a bit and checked my messages on my phone (again before even starting my car) when I notice someone getting out of the car next to me. His entire head was bandaged up and he needed someone to keep him upright to cross the street. They took a long time. I can only imagine what would have happened if the timing had just been a little different.

What could possibly be so important that you would need to race through a parking lot of a doctors office. Nothing, I imagine. I ended up hearing car horns 3 other times today. Impatient people counting the seconds that are going by not caring about what anyone else is going through.

This week (as with all the weeks right after chemo) I was moving a bit slower. Quite a bit slower. It would take me much longer to walk across the street. Normally my legs just move fast but I have come to understand how many, many people just can't move very fast. We never know what someone else is dealing with - so - to presume that your needs are more important than someone else is just plain rude.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Amen, sista. "So it's gonna be like that, is it?" Give me a break. It's scary to think what could have happened in that parking lot - would it have been worth the rush?

Love you!

Unknown said...

I couldn;t have said it better! What are we ever really in a hurry for? Does it matter if we are 5 minutes late for a game, a doctors appointment, an exercise class? No that is why I am always late and never in a hurry!!! Have a great day Kristin and congrats on the insurance!!!!!

kat said...

That person may have had devastating news, or the brakes were not working or...still not an excuse for the erratic driving but perhaps there is a reason behind it...