Saturday, April 25, 2009

Double Scoop Birthdays!


I am celebrating two amazing people today!  The first is my sister Sarah.  I will call her the explorer.  She is the third born in our family and perhaps the most unique.  She was such a fun baby to have around.  She was super, super skinny and had these big eyes and a funny laugh.  I remember thinking she was my little doll to play with.  She definitely has her own style and I think Julia gets a lot of her characteristics from her.  We could always find Sarah squatting down on the ground examining a treasure she found - either a bug or a rock or a flower.  You will often find Julia doing the same thing and attempting to keep all of them (right now Julia has a potato bug in a plastic container in her room).  Sarah loves beauty and sparkly things and adores animals (again all things Julia loves).  Sarah has become the independent career woman.  She drives a nice car and has successfully purchased her own home.  She has a good job and volunteers at the Natural Museum of History.  She is always learning and expanding her knowledge either through school or books or workshops and she is very intelligent.  Sarah is the fun aunt that taught my kids that they could just eat the ketchup off of the french fry without actually eating the french fry.   They adore her.  I think what I admire most in Sarah is her artistic ability.  She is extremely gifted and has vision I wish I had a tenth of.  The things she has made are as unique she she is and just as beautiful.  Happy birthday Sarah!  You have accomplished so much in your young (yes you are young) life.  I hope you never stop exploring and learning and trying new things.  I hope this year your artwork finds its way into the world and you are embraced by new love.  You deserve every happiness and I know you have the courage and ability to attain it.  Remember that your family loves you and are always here for support or to bounce ideas off of.  Remember you are never alone.  We love you so very much!!


The second is our cousin Mary who I will call the survivor.  We met Mary once when Adele and Alex were married and then didn't see her or her family again until we moved up here 7 years ago.  Mary took us in immediately like family.  We were able to stay at her home while we looked for a house and once we moved in she had us over for every holiday and random Sundays for dinner.  We immediately fell in love with all of them.  Mary is an amazing mother to her 4 children and a very strong wife to her late husband Richard.   Mary's life was completely turned upside down and inside out when Richard became ill.  It is so hard to watch someone go through pain knowing there is not much you can do to help.  Mary is one of the strongest women I know.  Even though I am sure there are days still when she would like to not even get out of bed she perseveres.  She has found a way to survive and support her children.  She never stops working for them - helping them fill out college applications, attending track meets, encouraging them through tough classes and job interviews.  As hard as life has been over the last few years she still manages to smile and ask how you are doing.  Mary, I hope this next chapter in your life is a calmer one, a more peaceful one and one that fills you with joy.  I hope this year you can find time to nurture yourself.  Even though your to-do list may be long I hope towards the top is some time to take care of you.  I am so happy we live even closer to you and I think we will find more time to connect over the next year.  You are young, and beautiful and strong and I completely admire you!  We love you Mary!  Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

joy said...

What a beautiful tribute for two beautiful people. Have fun with Uncle Rico!