Friday, July 17, 2009

Family


First there were 2...

And then came 5....

From the 5 came 13.....

And from the 13 came 31

This is John's family on his Mom's side.  What a special and monumental time.  As an in-law (or as we are lovingly referred to - an outlaw) this family seems perfect.  I am sure they have their downsides - conflicts and arguments, differences and annoyances - but I never saw them.  This was a loving family that all got along for at least the 3 days I was there.  There was nothing but joy all around me.  Children laughing and adults joking around.  There were several moments that I teared up - I am sure no one saw me but as I observed them their bond touched me.  I saw a room full of siblings documenting their life on video with smiles on their faces and the soft light in their eyes and I knew that behind that glass door something amazing was happening.  I saw cousins joyfully competing playing volleyball and sharing how their bodies are not as young as they used to be.  I saw second cousins getting to know one another and helping each other, dragging each other by the hand and saying "lets go do(whatever)!"  This was a family.  A large family.  A very, very lucky and blessed family.  This was a momentous occasion that they will all remember and now  - fortunately for me - so will I.

No comments: