Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Age

I recently decided that I am very happy with my age. I don't think I would ever want to go backwards. Some friends and I were together recently and we saw a group of young girls who were very beautiful. They were all dressed up and ready to go out but as we watched them walk past us none of us were envious of them. They had luminous skin and youthful bodies but what they lacked was confidence in who they were - because they didn't know who they were yet. So much of their lives were ahead of them and the clarity that comes with age was missing from their expressions. We saw the doubt that we all remembered having as young adults when you don't know what life is going to offer you. We saw the insecurity in their eyes as they wondered what the world was thinking about them. I am quite happy with where I am, who I am, and excited to find out who I will become. I am more concerned with how God sees me that how other people see me. I don't mind having the wrinkles and aches that come with age - they seem far less painful than the insecurity of youth.

No comments: