Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Change

I think most people are very resistant to change. My husband is one of those people. He likes things to stay the same - comfortable. A couple of years ago I decided to "make-over" his office (which is our third car garage) while he was away on a business trip. I cleaned it all out, painted, hung pictures, bought bookshelves - a rug - sofa cover etc. I thought he would be thrilled - but when he walked it he was really thrown. This was no longer his office - it was an office I made for him. He is now used to it and I am sure if I changed it again he wouldn't like it.

I actually love change - I think it is exciting. I decided to paint the kids bathroom this week. It still looked like it did when they were 1 and 4 years old - butterflies on the wall etc. I wanted to make it more grown up now that they are 10 and almost 13. As I was enjoying my project I noticed a bunch of grime on the bottom of the door. Dirt on the inside - about 2 feet off the ground. I realized that this was from my children opening the door when they couldn't reach the door knob. I had already painted half of the door but it was a little hard to watch those dirty fingerprints go away. It pulled on my heartstrings. I also painted over their growth chart (which was a vine painted on the wall) but not before I transferred it to a ribbon. I now have a portable growth chart that they can look at when their kids are growing up. I love the new bathroom but I understand how change can be hard. I equate change with growth though. If we are not changing - we are not growing. And if we are not growing - what is the point?