Friday, March 13, 2009

Inflation

I was just thinking today how quickly things can change and most of the time we don't even realize it is happening.  In light of the drastic economic downturn which appeared to have happened overnight (and we all know it didn't) I was thinking about the first house my parents bought.  It was around 1980 in Boulder, CO and they bought it for about $70,000.  A mere 16 years later John and I bought our first home in Highland Ranch, CO for $228,000.  In 2001 we bought our current house for almost half a million dollars and a couple of years ago when the housing market was at its highest we probably could have sold it for almost a million.  That is pretty crazy when you think about it and that is only one element.  Think of everything else that has happened in the last 30 years.  I realize I am starting to sound like an old person.  "I remember when a gallon of milk was only a nickel....." but it does boggle the mind.  I wonder what this world will be like in another 30 years when I am 70.....

No comments: