Sunday, August 23, 2009

Finished

I have been laboriously reading a book by Wally Lamb called "The hour I first believed".   For some reason it took me a very long time to read this 700+ page book.  I think mostly because it was full of heartache and sadness and I tend to get too involved in the characters when I read.  I walked around in a funk and my entire family noticed it.  I almost put it aside several times but was hopeful that the end would reveal some redeeming qualities.  I finally finished the book tonight and although it was thought provoking what I walked away realizing is that I am extremely blessed.  That there are people - many people - who suffer excruciatingly.  There are people effected by circumstances far beyond their control and must live the duration of their lives carrying this burden.  There are people who lack the faith to get them through to the other side of tragedy and so they live in a dark, and windowless world.  What I have come to understand is that I do not want to live in that world - nor do I want to reflect on it.  I believe we can choose to live in darkness or choose to live in light.  I am choosing the light.  So Mr. Wally Lamb, I appreciate your book but prefer to fill my thoughts with more positive things.  When tragedy strikes my life - which I am sure it will - I will look upwards for comfort and strength.  I will do my best to seek the light, to seek the goodness that we all have and I will choose to ignore the darkness.  The darkness is not worth my time.

No comments: