Thursday, October 22, 2009

Defining Life moments

Our lives are marked with these significant moments. These moments when our path decides to go another direction.

My first would have to be moving to Hawaii. My first time away from home - living on my own. My first encounter with my future husband. Had I not moved to Hawaii things would be completely different. I remember making that choice. It was not easy. I wasn't sure if I should leave my family with my mother so sick. In the end I am glad I made the choice I did and I would do it again.

My second would have to be my Mom dying. This significantly changed how I viewed the world. This was a moment that was decided for me - there was no choice in it happening. The choice came when I had to decide how I was going to deal with it. A lot of who I am today is a result of this event and my reaction to it. Had she not been sick and died life would most definitely be different.

My third would be having Jack. The whole world of being pregnant, giving birth and suddenly being responsible for another human was very life changing. The love I felt for this little boy overwhelmed me.

And my final life changing event so far would be Julia but for different reasons. I was already used to the idea of pregnancy, birth and responsibility but Julia brought new circumstances and a new and different love I had never felt before.

I have moved often and changed jobs. I have had many different friends and trips but I wouldn't classify them as life changing in the biggest sense of the word. I can't really say that my faith was life changing as an event because it was and still is growing and changing every day. My faith is my life. I wonder how many more of these large moments I will have. 4 over 40 years is not that many.

No comments: