Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A place in Heaven

I have to write about this. As I wrote before my sister Heidi took a bad fall on her bike and severely broke her arm. She had to wait over a week before she could have surgery. She is unable to move, work, shower - pretty much everything - and she is in a lot of pain. Now, my sister Emily is a very busy, working, single mother. She has been taking off work to help Heidi. She acquired a bed for her and delivered it. She helped make phone calls to the insurance company, she dusted and cleaned Heidi's entire house and bought a vacuum for her. Today she left for work at 6am. After work she ran an errand and picked up Myrah. She dropped Myrah at home before heading back to work for a meeting. After the meeting she went to 3 stores to pick things up for Heidi and went to her house and helped her shower (a huge feat because she can not get the dressing wet). Emily had left the house at 6am and didn't get home until after 10:30. Heidi was having a really hard day - sitting at home doing nothing and being in pain with nobody to talk to or comfort her and Emily came to her rescue. I am sure Heidi was so grateful. Of everyone I know Emily has the least amount of time, energy and money to be doing this and yet she did. She has certainly reserved her spot in heaven. How many times do we look the other way or make excuses because we are busy and have our own needs to take care of. Emily is an inspiration and an example. I have learned a lot from her today.

2 comments:

joy said...

Oh, Emily, what an inspiration you are!

Emily said...

Oh come on, I'm sure that if something like that ever happened to me, somebody would do the same.