Monday, January 5, 2009

The measure of a man......

I say man because I believe men measure themselves so often by their success...and I mean financial success or career success... notches on the belt per say.  I think women are a bit different but not better.  I think women tend to look at all of the things they could have done better and end up feeling miserable about themselves.  Both parties usually end up feeling unsatisfied because you will always be able to look at something after the fact and know you could have done it better.  You can always have more money and you can always rise higher in your career.  I think when we get to that gate and stand before God none of that will matter.  I think he will ask us how many times we experienced true happiness, and I mean TRUE happiness.  You know the one you only see very rarely like the face of a father when his child is born.  Or the reunion of long lost friends.  Or maybe even the smile on a child's face when someone tells them they are proud of them.  These moments.  Then I think he will ask us how often we brought true happiness to others.   This one will be hard for me.  I think I am pretty good at finding joy in my life - it is giving it to others that eludes me.   Especially the ones closest to me.  I tend to be hardest on them.  I am pretty good at smiling at the elderly person on the street but after a long day sometimes I find it hard to smile at my own husband.  I will have to work on that one.  Finding happiness, recognizing happiness and giving happiness.  Sounds like a good job description for the rest of my life.  I will try not to get fired.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

K - you bring me happiness everyday!!