Thursday, January 1, 2009

Nothing

That is what we all did today.....nothing.   It felt quite nice to have a day with nothing that needed to get done.  Yes I put away some things from last night and John took down the Christmas lights but we didn't feel like we had to do it.  The kids just played and had fun with each other all day.  Then tonight John decided to take Julia on a little camping trip - just the two of them.  She was so excited and felt very grown up.  I got to stay with Jack and have some one on one time with him which is rare.  We watched Kung Fu Panda and the funny thing is that the key to the secret in the movie was "nothing".  They reiterated the saying that "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift - that is why it is called the present".  That really sunk in.  Yes, I was moved by this silly animated film because it is so true.  We don't stop, and look, and listen, and love, and enjoy nearly enough.  We don't feel worthy just being who we are - we are always striving for something better, something special, when I think all we were intended to do was be ourselves.  This was a gift to me on this first day of the year.  A lesson that maybe I should not worry so much, let this imaginary pressure to be perfect fade away.  Maybe I should just appreciate and embrace all the beauty that surrounds us and have faith that I am exactly who I am suppose to be, where I am suppose to be, and how I am suppose to be.  That is true peace.  Perhaps this little gift of insight is a sign of things to come in the new year.  Or maybe it is a message.  One I will most certainly need to hear again and again but maybe my ears will be a little more open now.   My wish for you in the new year - peace.

No comments: