Thursday, January 22, 2009

Positive and Negative

I am usually not that into the wee-woo philosophies (but I am about to embark on a yoga training so we will see what happens) but I received an interesting email link from a friend.  It was the findings from a few scientific experiment and without going into the whole thing the just of it is....

Scientifically our moods effect our DNA.  They (who are "they" anyway) have found that when you look at a normal string of DNA from a living person and that person is happy, or elated, or in love the DNA strand is relaxed and longer.  When that same person is having feelings of sadness or anger the DNA strand contracts and becomes shorter.  "They" believe that this can directly impact our physical health and immunity.  

What I got out of it (and it is nothing new) is that being in a good mood all of the time will physically make you a healthier person.  Now I have been a cup half full kind of person my whole life and a few of my close relatives (I wont name names) have criticized me for this at times telling me that if I don't basically work in some sadness and anger one of these days I am going to explode.  Well, I guess the opposite might hold true.  Those living with grudges and hatred in their lives are going to feel the physical results of that.  It is physically exhausting when you are mentally stressed all of the time - we all notice that.  I get the argument often that you can't just make yourself be happy.  Well guess what - I think you can.  I believe you can train yourself to always see the bright side, the positive, silver lining.

So, don't worry so much and be happy!

2 comments:

joy said...

sounds like an interesting article. or, sounds like a crappy article. i guess it depends what your perspective is. i love your sunny personality--i guess you'll be living a nice long life!

Tracey said...

Good insight and something to remember. It's been a rough few months for me in many ways and I'm sure it has taken its toll on my DNA strands. It's always good to remember not to dwell too long in any given mood that doesn't serve your well being. Thanks for the post. It came on the perfect day for me.