Monday, February 2, 2009

Heroes


There has been a lot of talk about heroes lately.  They are the focus of Extreme Makeover Home Edition.  There is a great show called Heroes (watched it last night) and there is even a character in that show names Hiro.  But what is a Hero really?

- A hero to me is....... a man who has lived a life along side his wife for many years - sharing a bed - sharing a home - sharing children as they grow up - but never really sharing their life together.  They don't speak at dinner, they never touch, they don't feel.  A hero to me is that man turning to his wife and looking her in they eyes to see her and reaching across an emotional grand canyon to hold her hand.  A hero is someone brave enough to re-connect.

- A hero to me is...... a child who is terrified of reading allowed in school and bravely raises his hand to be the first one to read.

- A hero to me is....... a mother who quits smoking and starts exercising so she can be there for her child.

- A hero to me is....... someone who knows they are sick, mentally or physically,  and is afraid to get the help they need because the battle might be too big for them but has the courage to try.

- A hero to me is...... someone who smiles at the homeless man on the corner when all they want to do is look away.

- A hero to me is...... a father who embraces his son and tells him how proud of him he is even though he came in last place.

- A hero to me is..... the person who tries something new.

- A hero to me is..... someone who takes time to see the beauty in every person they meet.

We all find ways to be a hero sometimes but not usually on a daily basis.  Heroism is rare and when we see it we celebrate.  It is the little things that truly are big things that make heroes.

3 comments:

joy said...

that is so beautiful! does this stuff just come naturally to you? dang!

Suzanne said...

K, you are really one of my hero's. I learn from you everyday.

Kristin said...

Ditto girlfriend!