Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Uncle Rico






After yesterdays post you may be wondering who Uncle Rico is - well here he is.  He is named this because the van in Napoleon Dynamite looks a lot like this van and its owner in the movie is Uncle Rico.  I am trying very hard to welcome this new stranger into our family but it has been difficult.  First of all we are only its foster parents.  A good friend of John's "lent" it to us - or rather - needed a place for it to sleep and our side yard apparently works quite well.  Secondly there is this smell about it - kind of musty with hints of mold and motor oil.  Thirdly, it makes the most amazing squeal sound when it is started up and it lasts for several minutes.

Now don't get me wrong this vehicle has already brought a lot of joy to John and the kids.  They take it out on the weekends and camp in it and make pancakes, and tacos, and hot dogs.  They think it is the coolest thing ever.  I am a bit harder to convince.  I did  go away with the family to Big Sur and slept in it to try and get the full effect and after several hours it didn't bother me as much.  I guess the dirtier I got the better the van looked.  I guess it is all about spending time with the family so maybe I will try sewing some curtains for it or maybe a scented candle would help.  I feel I must learn to love this tattered old van if I want to connect more with John (who is like a very proud Papa to this surf mobile).   So pray for me on my next adventure.

1 comment:

joy said...

You know, that's the first I've seen inside the van. Isn't that weird considering I can see the actual van from my house. And, tell me again, who is Uncle Rico and why do you have his van?