Friday, February 6, 2009

My Sweet Boy


I can not believe this amazing young man just turned 11.  It feels like I am bailing water out of a boat with a hole in the bottom and the faster I bail the faster the water rushes it.  I guess it is pointless to try and stop time but it seem like yesterday I was writing down his first words and watching him take his first steps.  Jack has had to face a lot of firsts being the oldest child with many times his parents not knowing what the heck they were doing.  I think God was being extra nice when he gave us Jack to take care of - in fact I think the gift was so that John and I could learn immensely from him.  Jack has a grace about him in social situation that we can't even come close to.  He is compassionate and loving and thinks only the best of people.  He finds ways to touch peoples hearts.  He enjoys speaking to adults and has courage to do things other children don't -  like talking to a stranger or asking questions.  He has a sweet fearlessness about him and undying curiosity.  He makes me laugh every single day.

Happy Birthday Jack!  I love you more than words could ever express.  From the moment you came into this world with you eyes wide open I knew there were big things in store for you.  God has an amazing plan for you - I have always felt that.   You inspire and help people grow.  You show us all what true goodness is.  I love your sweet smile and the way you walk around the house yipping and singing (even though sometimes I act annoyed).  I love how you take time to appreciate things like food and tastes and smells.  I love your ever curious mind that questions and finds solutions.  I love your drive when you find something you want to be good at and the determination you have to get better.  I loved you long before you were born.  I would smile while sitting at work feeling you kicking me from inside - I couldn't wait for this amazing gift to arrive.  From the instant you were born I knew that being a mother was the best job in the world.  I would stand over your crib at night and watch you sleep not being able to tear myself away.  I still watch you sleep.  Every night I go to your room and watch you and tell you I love you - I know you don't hear me but I hope you can feel it.  You make me want to be a better person Jack.  I pray that God will continue to watch over you, keep you healthy and safe, guide you through your teenage years when some decisions will be hard.  I pray that you keep the sweetness and confidence that you have always had and that it will carry you through your life.  Nothing is beyond your grasp sweet boy, you will do amazing and powerful and meaningful things with your life and I hope and pray I will get to see them all.  I love you.

1 comment:

joy said...

we love you, jack! you are a special boy and we are blessed and privileged to know you. you are very sweet to my children and i appreciate your kind spirit.